Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2018 22:33:11 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <matt.xtaz@gmail.com>
To:        William Dudley <wfdudley@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I broke my Apache 2.4 install and I need help!

On Apr 02 16:57, William Dudley wrote:
>I did as you suggested (I made a backup prior.) (I also have good backups,
>just not of the file
>that FreeBSD/Apache said is "no longer needed").
>
>I got this message:
>
>"You may need to manually remove /usr/local/etc/apache24/httpd.conf if it
>is no longer needed."
>
>And the re-install didn't re-write that file from my attempt at getting
>things running.
>Apache is still totally hosed.
>
>I am confused as to why it says httpd.conf is no longer needed, but
>everything is totally hosed
>after I removed it.

It's because a pkg upgrade is actually doing a pkg delete and then a pkg
install. You are seeing that message because it's telling you that if
you no longer want to use apache after deleting it then you can remove
that file. But then it's actually installing the upgraded version once
again.

Ok, next idea. Are there any files called httpd.conf.sample? If so you
can probably copy that. Packages usually install a .sample file and then
copy them to the proper file if it doesn't already exist.

Failing that you may have to move the old apache directory out of the
way so it doesn't exist at all and then force the reinstall, copy the
file out of it into your original directory, and then move it back
again.

--
Matt