Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:15:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: designing new freebsd server for amd64 arch

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> On Tue, April 19, 2005 5:19 am, David Komanek said:
>>

>> Now I prefer:
>> Tyan Thunder K8WE, S2895A2NRF
>> 2x AMD Opteron 250 Box
>> Adaptec 2130SLP
>> 4x Hitachi 3.5" 73.4 GB (SCSI Ultra 320),10 000 rpm
>> HP DLT 40/80
>> 2x Gb LAN - I plan use the on-board ones
>>

> I dont recommend an nForce chipset, specially one this new. Also, prepare
> for problems with the onboard bge nic card. People are experiencing
> crashes with it under load, and no one has solved the problem yet.

This board has nvidia ethernet ports, the second ethernet and pci-e
are connected to the second cpu. Afaik fbsd supports the binary nvidia
driver for this board with the net/nvnet port and with the nve(4)
driver in current ( which also requires the binary blob ).

Linux has the forcedeth driver which is gpl, but might be useful
for anyone interested in working on an open driver.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem