Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 01:07:14 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        jfitz@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Unable to access document"

On Mon, Feb 23, 1998 at 02:03:59PM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> You are right, there is no package for Majordomo-1.94.4. Majordomo
> is an "interactive" port without a package. For more information
> please ask the maintainer of the majordomo
> port jfitz@FreeBSD.ORG or the mailing list freebsd-ports@freebsd.org.
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/mail/majordomo/Makefil
> [...]
> # Needs to create a user and group
> IS_INTERACTIVE= yes
> NO_PACKAGE=     "User and group need to be created"

Oh, was I supposed to first download the port and read that file of
mumbo-jumbo and twig that it means there's no package behind the "Package"
link, even though the link does clearly point to a specific package-sounding
file name? And here's me thinking all I had to do with a port was type make,
not read squiggles.

This one does require some extra work, but a simple "make" from a novice's
paw creates the user and group and explains all the little manual tasks
required. Though somewhat dismayed I was quite impressed that such a mess
could be ported at all, let alone with compulsory reading.

I understand, after the event, that it doesn't lend itself well to being a
package. After some study I'm beginning to understand the majordomo doccos.
But I still don't understand the makefile, or which line is the significant
one to look for next time, or why I should have even been looking at it
before attempting to grab a package.

That's what I get for being so well hand-held :-) I'll know next time.
Thanks for the explanation. I hope mine helps someone too.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-