Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 2015 08:52:04 -0700
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@gmail.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: stale .depend during -HEAD builds?

Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If it really is needed the build will fail anyway, but in 90% of cases
> > it is just stale data and the build sails happily on.
>
> I wish make(1) had a flag, like cc's warning level, that controls
> strictness, and failed when a stale depend is found.

For this case that would force you to have to clean your tree
every time someone moves/renames a header - very tedious.

This particular behavior works very well in conjunction with autodep
(whether via compiler flags like -M or other means) where the content of
.depend actually relects the last build not the one being done.