Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 18:38:38 +0200
From:      WHS <wouters@cistron.nl>
To:        tech@openbsd.org, misc@openbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GGI

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > It's now up to you all: is there any interest in using GGI given the
> > current license situation?
>
> This would probably be a fine time to get into Yet Another License
> battle except for the fact that I am personally sick of license
> battles right now and restrict myself to caring about stuff which is
> actually on the critical path, like important device drivers or the
> compiler toolchain, leaving the license issues for less critical items
> to be debated by those with the time and inclination to argue about
> licensing until old age sets in (and probably well past that point).

I didn't want a license debate, more a statement like: 'if libggi = LGPL
then GGI won't be standard on BSD and very likely, in my view, won't be
used by many people'. Which from the rest of your mail I see is the
case.

> In the specific case of GGI, I certainly don't care either way.  If
> there are GPL'd kernel bits, then we just make them available as

No, that will be BSD (or X if that's ok). Just the library (which is
needed to use the kernel code) is LGPL.

> optional add-ons like ext2fs and the other bits in /usr/src/sys/gnu.
> If someone wants to do a binary-only kernel release, they leave out
> /usr/src/{.,*/}gnu as always and life goes on.  Hardly something worth
> self-combusting over, and not a feature we've gotten a lot of requests
> for in any case, so from the purely "user request drive" standpoint
> it's also not anywhere on my short-range map.
>
> To summarize:  Have the authors do as they like with the GGI license.
> It's not a gating factor (here) in the acceptance of the software.

What I'm also getting at is this: If kernel internals change, then the
KGI (kernel part of GGI) may have to be altered and you (or another BSD
hacker) won't be inclined to do this for a piece that can only be used
with a LGPL lib, right?

Regards,

Wouter