Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 07:38:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/153687: Update lang/gpc to use gcc 2.4.4

--- On Wed, 1/5/11, Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As this program wasn't updated in almost 5 years, and it's
> scheduled for deletion, do you have any reason for updating
> the GCC version?

Updating gcc, as supported, fixes bugs. In this case it also
reduces the diffs in the port making future updates simpler
(if it makes a comeback somehow).

> If you do, you may also want to maintain the port (or at
> least remove EXPIRATION_DATE). Otherwise I think lang/fpc is
> a better (and supported) alternative.

lang/fpc requires bootstrapping and doesn't run on all
platforms so someone may need gpc in the future. I didn't
touch the expiration date: this port can die as scheduled,
but if someone needs it back he/she will find an up to date
version in the CVS Attic.

I don't want to be the maintainer either.. this port can
die, but I hope it dies with some dignity ;)..

regards,

Pedro.