Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 07:48:22 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Splash Screen

Rob wrote:

>      Hi all,
>
>      I was reading that if you install a splash screen, you can clear it so
> that you can see the boot messages by pressing any key.  The man
> page for splash did say that it might take a few seconds for the boot
> procedure to capture the key press and clear the splash image while
> it's probling different devices, but it never seems to work for me until
> it's finished.
>      Are there any tips to make it easier to clear the splash screen, or
> is it pretty much tough luck?

It won't clear until it starts reading rc.conf, after the disk probes.

>      Also, I am using an ATI Mach64 video card.  Does this card have
> VESA mode for larger splash images?  I tried enabling VESA in by
> loader.rc file per the instructions, but loading of The Matrix image failed
> with an error message I don't remember now -- but I can post if any
> one is interested...

Same problem here. ATI cards (mine's an Xpert@Work, Rage Pro II) don't
have the VESA extensions in the PROM. If you need VESA resolutions
under DOS (for games etc) you have to load a TSR (M64VBE.??? from the
driver disk). I guess this could be done as a kld, loaded the same way
as the VESA and splash ones. There is a "developers club" at ATI's
website (http://www.atitech.com) which I guess is where programming
info is available. Can you write device drivers?

HTH