Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:50:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 14125 for review

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/chv.cgi?CH=14125
> >
> > Change 14125 by rwatson@rwatson_paprika on 2002/07/11 21:54:24
> >
> > 	Back out the lazy instantiate component of @14031, as it broke
> > 	mount-derived labels on multilabel (read-only or full) file
> > 	systems, as the EA write could result in a failure of the
> > 	label refresh, even though a valid label is available.
> >
> > 	Approved by:	green
>
> Ack!  No, you backed out all of it and re-re-reintroduced the bug where
> mac_update_vnode_from_externalized _NEVER_ gets called!

We probably need to sit down with the source, because I think this still
isn't right.  mac_update_vnode_from_externalized() is intended to take a
fully filled out extmac from the extended attribute, and initialize a
vnode label from it.  You've changed the code flow so that you call it
even when extmac doesn't contain any valid data, which is simply
incorrect.  Probably what we need is a new entry point intended
specifically to handle policies that manage the loading of the
externalized form themselves.  Something on the order of:

	mac_update_vnode(vp);

Also, we'll need to figure out how to arrange things so that
mac_update_vnode_from_mount() does the right thing in this context.  The
real answer may be to take this opportunity to jump off the 'extmac on
disk' notion and switch all policies to use EAs directly now that we have
a working model for how it should happen.

I'm surprised you can even boot this with any of the non-SEBSD policies
enabled.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories