Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:21:52 -0500
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAID performance problems

Pete French wrote:
[ ... ]
> 1) a 15k RPM drive attached directly to an Adaptec SCSI controller
> 2) a RAID-1 mirrored pair of 10k RPS drives
> 3) a RAID-5 set of 5 7200 RPM drives
>
> All SCSI buses are 40MB/sec. Both the RAID drives are being run from
> the same Compaq 4200 RAID controller. Both the RAID controller and
> the Adaptec SCSI card are on the same PCI bus.
>
> So, what I expected was that the driect drive would be fastest,
> followed by the RAID-1, then the RAID-5 (at least as far as write
> performance goes)

You're not going to be able to derive firm conclusions from changing two
variables at a time, unless you fill in the other missing pieces.  Try comparing
one of the five 7200 RPM drives via direct I/O versus two 7200 RPM drives in a
RAID-1 mirror, versus the RAID-5 case.

If you're using hardware RAID, then FreeBSD will be treating it like a single
(larger) device, not going through vinum or some other OS-level software RAID.
I agree that your results are somewhat surprising....

-Chuck