Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 17:31:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Paul Schiro <tribble@tribble.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hi!

hey there... I've been with FreeBSD since 2.1.5 and loving it ever since
:)  props to jordan and all of you guys and gals that make this project
the beautiful thing that it is

that said, i believe this is the first time i've mailed questions@
i'm just stumped on this one...

my 4.0 box at work is on really flaky hardware that very much needs to be
replaced... i've had it spontaneously reset on me.  seems to recover
pretty well from it, but i'm getting something i've never ever seen
before:

-= snip =-
neutron:[~]> ps
ps: proc size mismatch (25152 total, 1044 chunks)

neutron:[~]> top
kvm_open: proc size mismatch (54496 total, 1044 chunks)
top: Out of memory.

neutron:[~]> w
 5:26PM  up  1:04, 7 users, load averages: 0.17, 0.08, 0.07
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
w: proc size mismatch (54496 total, 1044 chunks): Undefined error: 0
-= snip =-

are a few examples.  i suppose utmp or procfs or some such thing just got
corrupted from the machine crashing while a process was writing to them
possibly...

my questions:

1) do you know what specifically is causing this?

2) is there a way i can rebuild whatever file(s) got corrupted so i can be
able to use ps and other such essential things agian?

Thanks much in advance!

Regards,
Paul Schiro
<tribble@tribble.net>
http://www.tribble.net/

"Those who don't know UNIX are doomed to reinvent it... Poorly..."

p.s. yes i know my signature isn't very original ;)  but i dig it