Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:24:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: Update port VMware 1.1 for Linux, Networking Support

Vladimir N. Silyaev writes:
| On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 09:19:57AM -0800, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
| > Okay, I tried that with the packet driver from AMD & from Russel.  Neither
| > of them work.  So far what I get is that they say they found the PCNET
| > device at mem 0x1000 and irq 9.  Which is correct according to a booted
| > Win95 or FreeBSD.  However, neither Etherboot or the Netboot with a packet
| > driver sends any packets out vmnet1 (I'm running tcpdump on vmnet1).
| > Note I have Win95 & FreeBSD setup to use DHCP/BOOTP and they both work.
| I don't try to use dynamic IP addresses. I use static IP address and
| Waterloo TCP/IP, really their it was the my development environment
| MS DOS, AMD packet driver and Waterloo ping, they were chosed due to a minimal
| time to loading :-). I use the following packet driver
| 	24512 Dec 22  1995 pcntpk.com

That's the one I have.

| About DHCP/BOOTP, did you use standard dhcp server, or a VMware? I'm
| just interesting on this, because I never tried to run vmware-dhcpd on
| a FreeBSD.

I'm confused.  I run a dhcpd (isc-dhcpd in ports) on my host system.
I set is up so it gives out IPs to the vmnet1 interface.  Now within
VMware I ran Win95 with DHCP enabled and booted a FreeBSD kernel with
the BOOTP option enabled (that causes the kernel to get it's network info via
a BOOTP request).  This both worked within VMware.

I'll try the WatTCP stuff.  I played with it a long time ago.  With that
I might be able to narrow down the problem.

Doug A.