Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:58:08 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 10.1 ZFS - why canmount=off for /usr and /var by default?

To quote Allan Jude when I posed this question to him:

"The /usr dataset has 'canmount' set to off. It only exists so that other
datasets can be created under it.

The idea here is that you want /usr/bin and /usr/local etc to be included
in the / dataset, as that is the one used for boot environments.

To use boot environments, you need to install the tool from the ports tree:
sysutils/beadm-devel

We'll discuss this more on the [bsdnow.tv] show, and maybe do a tutorial
sometime soonish."

In summary, the /usr and /var datasets will not actually have any files
stored in them. Any sub-datasets that ARE mounted will have the files in
them, and other files that sit under /usr or /var which are not in a
sub-dataset will actually be stored in the zroot/ROOT/default dataset (and
available for boot environments).

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com