Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2023 14:24:07 -0400
From:      George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Periodic rant about SCHED_ULE

On 3/25/23 23:42, Peter wrote:
> Quoting George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>:
>
> On 3/25/23 11:47, Peter wrote:
>>> You're welcome. Can I get a success/failure report?
>>>

>>> [...]
>> Thanks for your help.  Regretfully, I have to report that the patch
>> did not really help in my case (make buildworld while running dnetc).
>> But I have belatedly realized that it's a really good idea to use
>> make -j12 to build kernels and the world.  With 4BSD and dnetc
>> running, I can now buildworld in 3512 seconds (down from 20477), and
>> with ULE in 14193 seconds (down from 50290).  Peter's patch got it
>> down to 13755 seconds.
>
> Thank You for testing. So at least it doesn't make things worse.
> Back then 5 years ago when I made that, I think I've seen a few
> more strange things in that code, but they didn't bother me immanently
> at that point. Probably there is more work to do there...

To oversimplify the discussion I've seen so far on this thread:

It would be really nice if the schedulers were kernel loadable modules.
GSoC project?

Whether SCHED_ULE or SCHED_4BSD should be the default scheduler in the
GENERIC kernel is a contentious discussion, but perhaps we need to have
that discussion.                                           -- George