Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:58:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        jacob@mayhem.com (Jacob DeGlopper)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI/CAM errors with Yamaha CRW6416sz CD-RW and NCR 815 card

Jacob DeGlopper wrote...
> Followup on this problem.  I have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card on the way,
> which seems to be more of a standard, but maybe that's not the problem.
> I discovered that if there is no CD in the drive when I boot FreeBSD,
> it works fine.  What does that indicate?
>
> cd0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
> cd0: <YAMAHA CRW6416S 1.0b> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
> cd0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 8)
> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present - tray c
> losed
>
> Put a CD in, and you can mount it just fine and use it.  Leave the CD in
> when you reboot, and it locks up with the same NCR timeout errors I
> was seeing below.

This sounds like it may be a drive firmware problem, although it's
difficult to say for sure.  How long does it take to mount the CD?  How
long does it take for the error messages to pop up when there isn't a CD in
the drive?

> > I am running FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE.  I have recently acquired a Yamaha
> > CRZ6416sz SCSI CD-RW drive.  I have an existing SCSI chain with a
> > NCR 815 card, Seagate disk, and HP DAT drive; all those have been
> > working fine.
> >
> > When booting the system with the new drive installed, I get some errors,
> > and then the system halts.  Running a kernel without the SCSI cd device
> > configured gets the CD-ROM recognized by the pass driver without errors.

The primary difference between the CD and pass drivers in terms of attach
behavior is that the CD driver attempts to do a read capacity on the CDROM
drive, but the pass driver attaches no matter what.

The system shouldn't halt, though.  That indicates a definite problem.

> > I have double-checked the terminator, and tried other SCSI ids with no
> > change.  The drive appears to work fine in Windows.  I have also tried
> > adjusting the SCSI_DELAY timeout up to 20 seconds with no change.
> >
> > The specific errors I get are:
> >
> > cd0:ncr0:0:2:0: got CAM status 0x4a
> > fatal error, failed to attach to device (cd0:ncr0:0:2:0) removing device
> > entry

Oooh, that's not good at all.  Status 0x4a is a selection timeout.  That
means the drive isn't responding to attempts to contact it over the SCSI
bus.

> > then, I get the message
> >
> > ncr0: timeout nccb=<something> (skip)

I think that's just the NCR driver's generic timeout message.

> > I've also tried the drive in another FreeBSD system with an NCR 875 card,
> > and it failed with the same messages, as did booting with the 3.3 boot
> > disks.
> >
> > I haven't found anything very promising in the archives related to these
> > NCR timeout problems; does anyone have any ideas, or do I have to
> > go out and get a more expensive SCSI card?

Well, since you've already ordered a 2940, it'll be good to see what
happens with that.  The Adaptec driver is generally less buggy than the ncr
driver.

If you can, try out the 3.3 boot disk with the 2940, and see how that works
as well.  I think we fixed several CAM problems after 3.0 went out the
door, so trying 3.3 would be a good thing.

Have you tried different CDs in the drive?  It could be that there is
something about the CD you're using that makes the drive barf.

This really sounds like a firmware issue of some sort with your CDROM drive,
although I'll be more confident in saying that once you've tried the drive
with an Adaptec controller.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry