Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:57:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        steve2@genesis.nred.ma.us (Steve Gerakines)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy tape probe patch

As Steve Gerakines wrote:

| Here's a set of patches against -current that should fix the probe
| issues that were brought up.  The "output in input" messages should be
| gone and people without tape drives should not see any drive activity.

Good news!

| Also, the ft driver brought out the output on input messages because
| it is polling for a seek or recalibrate completion by sending sense
| interrupt commands to the fdc.  The fd driver doesn't see them because
| it doesn't poll, it just waits a long time and hopes that it finished.
| This is impractical for ft because the the probe would take too long.

Hmmmm.  Perhaps fd should also poll.  On the other hand, polling the
FDC is dangerous (the danger is only being eliminated by in_fdc()
watching thoroughly for the ready-for-input bit), since many FDC's
tend to lock up if someone requests ``unusual'' things (e.g.  SENSEI
where no interrupt happened) from them.

| Although I'm glad the messages in the fd driver pointed out what was
| happening, as far as I can tell ft wasn't really doing anything wrong.
| Seems to me fd is reporting a bit too much for a non-debug mode.

It should be made less noisy, and will be before 2.1 gets shipped.

--
cheers, J"org                             work:      --- no longer ---
                                          private:   joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de