Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 1995 09:05:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        root@io.cts.com (Morgan Davis)
Subject:   Re: whereis

As Morgan Davis wrote:

> I've often wondered why the 'whereis' command doesn't use your $PATH
> in addition to the default path it searches.  Is there some compelling
> reason for not doing this?

What you're requesting is covered by "which -a".

"whereis" has been crippled beyond recognition in 4.4BSD.  It has to
be rewritten, the current functionality is absolutely useless.  Either
Wolfram Schneider (but with low priority for this) or me will revamp
it probably in Perl.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/