Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:21:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.3 install on Alphastation 4/233

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD-4.3 on an Alphastation 200 4/233.  I can
boot the CD from SRM without a hitch.  However, when the installer starts
and prompts for terminal type, it doesn't respond to the keyboard.  The
machine isn't hung, just that it doesn't listen to the keyboard.

I rebooted and ran it using a serial console.  It hung at the same point,
but when I sent a break signal, it woke up.  Given the choice I'd rather
not install from a dumb terminal because the menus render poorly, and
being a FreeBSD newbie, I need to be able to see what I'm doing. And I'd
like the VGA/KB console to work in any case.

I installed the latest (last) SRM available for this machine prior to
trying FreeBSD.  I just don't see anything wrong with it.  I've pasted a copy
of the system configuration below for your perusal.  If someone would like
to see a boot dmesg I could probably capture that as well.

Thanks for any help!
--
Jameel Akari
jakari@bithose.com

SRM info:

>>>show conf

Firmware
SRM Console:    V7.0-9
show_arc: Can't find Flash Rom containing ARC console.
PALcode:        VMS PALcode V5.56-2, OSF PALcode X1.46-2
Serial Rom:     V4.6
Diag Rom:       V1.7

Processor
DECchip (tm) 21064A-2   233Mhz 512KB Cache

MEMORY
     64 Meg of System Memory
     Bank 0 = 16 Mbytes(8 MB Per Simm) Starting at 0x2000000
     Bank 1 = 32 Mbytes(16 MB Per Simm) Starting at 0x0
     Bank 2 = 16 Mbytes(8 MB Per Simm) Starting at 0x3000000

PCI Bus
     Bus 00  Slot 06: NCR     810 Scsi Controller
                                   pka0.7.0.6.0          SCSI Bus ID 7
                                   dka0.0.0.6.0           SEAGATE ST15230W
SUN
                                   dka300.3.0.6.0         TOSHIBA CD-ROM
XM-57

     Bus 00  Slot 07: Intel SIO 82378

     Bus 00  Slot 11: DECchip 21040 Network Controller
                                   ewa0.0.0.11.0         00-00-F8-23-2B-66

     Bus 00  Slot 12: Digital ZLXp Graphics Controller

     Bus 00  Slot 13: Vendor: 11ad  Device: 2
ISA
Slot    Device  Name            Type         Enabled  BaseAddr  IRQ

     0       MOUSE           Embedded        Yes     60      12
     1       KBD             Embedded        Yes     60      1
     2       COM1            Embedded        Yes     3f8     4
     3       COM2            Embedded        Yes     2f8     3
     4       LPT1            Embedded        Yes     3bc     7
     5       FLOPPY          Embedded        Yes     3f0     6
     0       PCXBJ           Singleport      Yes     530     9
                                                     388
     0       PCIC-PCMCIA     Singleport      Yes     3e0     14

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f $zig; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1