Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:09:58 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        dart@nersc.gov
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disable NFS client cache (or other traffic reduction methods)

On Apr 7, 2005, at 3:51 PM, Eli Dart wrote:
> Looking at the packet contents, it appears to be fetching back the
> last few blocks of the log file.
>
> My guess is that this is the client keeping its NFS cache fresh.
> The client is never, ever, ever going to read that file (or any file
> on that filesystem) other than the bare minimum required to open it
> for writing and rotate the log files.
>
> Is there a way to disable client-side caching?  I've looked, and
> can't seem to find one.  Or, do I have this wrong and there is
> something else that is causing this?

Take a look through "man mount_nfs" for:

      -a      Set the read-ahead count to the specified value.  This may
be in
              the range of 0 - 4, and determines how many blocks will be
read
              ahead when a large file is being read sequentially.
Trying a
              value greater than 1 for this is suggested for mounts with
              large bandwidth * delay product.

...and the -o ac*** options.  Although you may be right-- I was a bit
surprised not to see a "-o noac", myself.  Solaris has one:

            noac  Suppress data and attribute caching.

:-)

--
-Chuck