Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 13:18:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lars Fredriksen" <fredriks@mcs.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, phk@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version numbers of the different branches?

Rodney W. Grimes writes:

> > >("BUILT-950703" ?  Hey, He hasn't got the "ls -s panic" patch that
> > >got comitted on july 5th !)
> >
> > "BUILT-950708" -- Does he have it?
> >
> > IMHO, "2.1d0803" where 0803 represents the CTM update level
> > or "2.1d950706" where that represents the date of the source file sup
> > would be more useful.
>
> A) assumes he is using CTM, B) assumes he is using sup, neither may
> be true (and is certainly not true for me, along with 32 other folks
> that I know of).

Can't we come up with a mechanism where cvs does this for us? What if
a cvs commit on file xyz also fires off a script to update the RELEASE_DATE
in the top level makefile? (Obviously one have to avoid recursion here :-))

Lars

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)
			fredriks@asiago.cs.wisc.edu