Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:40:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Thomas Keusch <thomas@visionaire.ping.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c875 SCSI Problems

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Thomas Keusch wrote:

> On Sep 26, Howard Lew wrote
>
> > Somehow, the Seagate Hawk drive is having or causing the command failure
> > problem -- something that never occurred with the 810 when using freebsd.
> >
> > Does anyone know what kind of command it is failing on?  Is it trying to
> > query the drive speed or something?
>
> I have a very similar/the same problem with a SymbiosLogic 8750SP Ultra-SCSI
> controller and two IBM DCAS 4.1 Gb HDDs.
>
> I did not find a solution yet, but it seems that the problem on my box is
> related to FreeBSD trying to find out the size of the disks. This produces
> basically the same error as yours, but quits scanning with an "could not get
> size" error for each disk after a while.

Yes, this is exactly the same problem I am having.  I guess if I wait a
very long time, it might get past the boot probe after failing to detect
the affected drives, but generally the boot probe shouldn't take 1 hour or
more to do.

> I took of the entire bus from the controller, so that the controller was the
> only SCSI device in the system. FreeBSD doesn't choke on the controller
> itself, it's the disks.

Yes, it is the disks -- not the controller.

There is an easy fix if you already have a working FreeBSD system that
is booting off another drive.  As long as you are not using the WIDE bus,
you can force everything to 8 bit mode.  I found that changing the
SCSI_NCR_MAX_WIDE to 0 does the trick.  Of course, this forces 8 bit
mode and disables the WIDE bus, so you should not have any devices on the
WIDE bus.

As it is, this is not a real fix because you need a working system to
make the changes in ncr.c and then recompile the system.  So if a new
user wants to install FreeBSD on his hard disk, this quick fix will not
work as they won't be able to get through the installation.