Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:41:37 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux is better than FreeBSD on X?

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 at 15:21:43 +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> See the FAQ and the README.S3V file in the docs there it says that X
> is supporting Trio3D and also if it does not support Trio3D then it
> should not work with linux with 1024x768 right? also it works with
> 1280x1024 with linux too...

So which X server are you using?  The XFree86 FAQ
(http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/#Trio3D) says..

    Q.F18- Is a server for the S3 Trio3D, Trio3D/2X or the S3 Savage3D
	   or the Savage4 available?

    XFree86-3.3.5 supports all these chipsets as part of the SVGA
    server.  Please note that S3 Savage3D support was not tested and
    Savage4 support is currently restricted to Linux and the Intel
    Platform.

So you should be using the XF86_VGA16 or XF86_SVGA server.  According
to the card list, it's VGA16, according to the FAQ it's SVGA, so I'm
assuming both should work.

If you're not using either one of those servers, try one.

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -