Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:35:20 -0500
From:      "O'Gorman, James" <jogorman@worldmediaco.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ping crashes system?

Could anyone take a look at this for me? On my system (the only one I
have been able to test this so far), when logged in as a normal user a
simple "ping -R hostname" results in a panic.

Here is the output I recive:

bash# ping -R host

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernal mode
Fault virtual address = 0x35000232
Fault Code = Supervisor read, page not present
Instruction Pointer = 0x8:0xc017a19e
Stack Pointer = 0x10:0xc8cddde0
Frame Pointer = 0x10:0xc8cddde8
Code Segment = Base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
	     = DPL 0, Pres1, def32 1, gran1
Processor Eflags = Interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process = 294 (ping)
interrupt mask =
Trap Number = 12

Panic: Page Fault

My question would be if this is unique to the version of FreeBSD that
I am currently running (uname -a gives me: FreeBSD myhome.box.com
3.3-STABLE FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE #3: Thu Sep 16 22:18:01 CDT 1999
me@mybox.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERN5  i386), or a problem with
FreeBSD in general (I doubt I would find a new bug, but you never
know...).

Any other information on my box can be given upon request, just let me
know what you might want to know.

Thanks for listening.

Jim
jameso@worldmediaco.com