Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:45:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

[ cc list trimmed. ]

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 09:02 AM 12/15/1999 , David Scheidt wrote:
>
> >On NonPC machines, CPU cost is a pretty small fraction of system
> >cost.
>
> That's because, on more proprietary systems, the costs of other
> components are artificially high -- usually by artifice. I remember

My point was that NonPC machines tend to have a higher peripherial loads,
and better designed hardware.  They have things like memory subsystems that
support 16-way interleaving and multiple-bit ECC.  They are also much lower
volume, which pushes up the cost of parts.  The setup costs for an ASIC are
much the same if you are making 20,000 or a million.

> trying to put a generic SCSI drive into an SGI system several years
> ago. It was a struggle, because they used special mounting brackets
> and a special connector, trying to make it look as if you HAD to
> buy the drive from them at 4X the going price. But it was a plain
> old SCSI drive, and you could tell which brand by looking at the
> mechanical design.

HP aren't so bad about that.  They do use a proprietary disk enclosure
system, but it is very nice, and we did look at other systems.   Equivelent
systems weren't much cheaper, and didn't have as good guarantees about
long-term replacement part availability.  If a system has a design life-time
of seven years, you want to be sure you can get spares in 6.5!  (You can, of
course, stockpile them yourself, but there are non-trivial costs involved
with that.  )

David scheidt