Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 23:12:29 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A sort of plan for consoles in FreeBSD

Just as a neutral data point ...

CTIX (Convergent Technologies SVRx from the mid 1980s) ran /dev/
console such that writes went into an in-kernel circular buffer.
Reads from /dev/console would drain the contents of that buffer.

I didn't like the read behaviour; it would have been more useful if
reads didn't empty the buffer.  But I did like how easy it was to
examine the buffer with crash after a panic.  While this isn't
directly applicable to BSD, I do like the concept of having that
kernel message log.  It addresses the issues that others have raised
about syslog not having time to commit to disk, or do a network write
during kernel death.  I would gladly pay for a meg or so of kernel
memory to hold such a write buffer (size tunable by sysctl).

--lyndon