Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:54:14 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob89@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        shamrock@cypherpunks.to
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problem: $50 reward.

"Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to> wrote
> Fifty bucks to the person that is first to help me solve this problem.
>
> I have a brand new Asus A7V333 motherboard with the latest BIOS version
> 1007. I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.6 via floppies onto a brand new
> Western Digital WD1200AB 120GB IDE drive. I have installed FreeBSD many
> times before going back to FreeBSD 2.x.
>
> The partition editor and disklabel only see 8056MB of my 120GB drive. In
> other words, I am being stopped by the 8.4GB barrier. Obviously, Asus'
> new motherboard supports IDE drives larger than 8.4GB.  Following some
> suggestions, I wrote a slice and disklabels to the drive at 8.4GB. This
> did not help. The drive is still only being recognized at 8.4GB.
>
> Any suggestions how to overcome the problem are appreciated. I need to
> very badly copy some data from a FireWire drive with FAT32 partitions
> onto the new FreeBSD installation before 6 AM PDT.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - --Lucky

1) Make sure the BIOS is using LBA mode to access the drive.  I've
   seen recent motherboards that did not use LBA on large drives
   when set to auto-detect the drive.

2) Make sure the drive is not jumpered to report only the first 1024
   cylinders to the BIOS.  Some drives come with the jumper installed
   by default, for compatibility with older BIOSes.

Good luck,

- Bob