Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:37:06 -0400
From:      "Russell D. Murphy Jr." <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
To:        Stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   "Root mount failed" in 3.5-Stable to 4.1-Release upgrade

I'm upgrading an old machine from 3.5-Stable to 4.1-Release (on the
way to 4.3-Stable).  I've been following /usr/src/UPDATING.

The buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, modules, and mknod steps
went fine (as far as I can tell).  I copied /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV to
/dev and ran MAKEDEV for ad0 and ad0s2a.  The only filesystems in use
were wd0s2a, wd0s2h, wd0s2e wd0s2g, and wd0s2f.  The first slice is a
100MB dos partition.  I changed fstab to reflect ad0 rather than wd0.

When I try to re-boot into single user mode with either the new kernel
or the new GENERIC kernel, I get:

   mounting root from ufs:wd0s2a
   wd0: bad sector table not supported
   wd0s2a: bad sector table not supported
   Root mount failed: 22

I tried asking it to boot from ad0s2a, ad0s2, ad0, wd0s2a, wd0s2, and
wd0 with the same results.

If I boot kernel.old (3.5-Stable), I can boot, but can't mount
anything read-write.  / will fsck OK, but:

   mount /dev/wd0s2a /

generates

   mount: Block device required

I've tried using the fixit floppy to re-make the devices ad0, ad0s2a,
wd0, and wd0s2a, but this didn't seem to help (though I may not have
done it in a completely kosher fashion).

I've checked the list archives, but didn't find anything helpful
(probably looked for the wrong keywords. . .).

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Russ Murphy

--