Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jjim Bodkins <bodkins@prologic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linking with Solaris .o's

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Jjim Bodkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I did an experiment between Solaris (Intel) 8 and FreeBSD 4.4. I created
> a .o on Solaris, moved it to FreeBSD and linked it with a native FreeBSD .o
> and it produced an executable that ran. (I did this as a test. I have a
> number of libraries in .a form that I would like to use on FreeBSD).
>
>    When I attempt to link against the Solaris .a's (they are libraries from
> a non Sun source. Not standard libs) I get this ...

unless you have the appropriate .h files of course this is dangerous..
ther eare teh following things to consider..

1/ does teh flag for 'readonly' in solaris map to the flag 'truncate
on open' in a freebsd system call? (an example of what might happen)

also what about structure padding considerations?
how about the NUMBER of arguments.. symbols don't give this info..
FreeBSD lseek takes a 64 bit offset.. does solaris's?

etc
etc.

same problems with linux.. it may link but.....

why not compile on solaris and just use the solaris emulation?