Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:29:25 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/kscope/Makefile is not ASCII

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 22:21 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> [dan@nezlok:/usr] $ file ports/devel/kscope/Makefile
> ports/devel/kscope/Makefile: Apple Old Partition data block size:
> 21117 first type: HTML/en/${PORTNAME}, number of blocks: 1935896432,
>
> Several others have tested their ports tree and found similar
> results.  I've tried both the base system file and the one from
> ports.  Both give similar results.
>
> Any ideas why this file is so special?

The "magic" entry for Apple partitions is a bit unfortunate?  If a file
happens to have the string 'CD' at offset 512, file will misrecognize it
as an "Apple Old Partition data" file.  (And if it's "MP" then it's
"Apple Partition data".)

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu