Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2017 16:07:02 +0200
From:      Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org,  syzkaller <syzkaller@googlegroups.com>
Subject:   Re: syzkaller for freebsd

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 19 October 2017 at 14:05, Dmitry Vyukov via freebsd-hackers
> <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Our team works on kernel testing and in particular on syzkaller system
>> call fuzzer (https://github.com/google/syzkaller). It started as
>> Linux-only fuzzer and has found 1000+ bugs in Linux. But we started
>> evolving towards supporting more OSes recently and added basic FreeBSD
>> support.
>
> Dmitry,
>
> Running syzkaller on FreeBSD has been on my own TODO list for a while,
> in addition to the IdeasPage item you mentioned, so thank you very
> much for starting this and sharing your progress so far! I'm very
> happy to hear that you're interested in bringing in changes to support
> FreeBSD, and will help coordinate things from the FreeBSD side.
>
>> But lots of things for full FreeBSD support are still missing. I've
>> sketched a list here:
>> https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/docs/freebsd.md#missing-things
>
> Thanks for this list, I (and others) will start digesting this info,
> and will follow up with any questions.

Great!

There are some lower handing fruits. A first useful thing would be to
run it as is and then run with a fresh debug kernel. This already can
give more bugs just due to debug checks.

syzkaller is not completely trivial in setup as compared to, say,
trinity, because it tries to automate more things. Feel free to ask
questions here, or on syzkaller@googlegroups.com.