Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:37:15 -0400
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Bob Eager <rde@tavi.co.uk>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount an older disk

--=20
Charles Sprickman
NetEng/SysAdmin
Bway.net - New York's Best Internet www.bway.net
spork@bway.net - 212.982.9800

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 4:05 AM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 08:32:16AM +0100, Bob Eager wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 21:35:07 -0400
>> "Mikhail T." <mi+t@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hello!
>>>=20
>>> Going through older hard drives, I found one that still seems to =
work=20
>>> and was curious, what's on it. The OS -- 12.1-STABLE -- sees it =
find.=20
>>> The disklabel seems sane (except for the number of partitions):
>>>=20
>>>    # /dev/ada1:
>>>    8 partitions:
>>>    #          size     offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>>>       b:   12582912          0      swap
>>>       c: 1465149168          0    unused        0     0 # "raw" =
part,
>>>    don't edit
>>>       d: 1452566256   12582912    4.2BSD     8192 65536 52352
>>>=20
>>> and there are ada1, ada1b, and ada1d entries under /dev. So far so
>>> good. Unfortunately, both mount and fsck tell me the same blatant
>>> lie, that the device does not exist:
>>>=20
>>>    # fsck -y /dev/ada1d
>>>    Can't open /dev/ada1d: No such file or directory
>>>=20
>>>    # mount /dev/ada1d /mnt
>>>    mount: /dev/ada1d: No such file or directory
>>>=20
>>> Any suggestions? Thank you! Yours,
>>=20
>> Custom kernel? If so, try booting GENERIC. Might be that a support fs
>> option is missing.
>=20
> This is most likely a stray bsd label which appeared in the first =
(second ?)
> block of the disk due to some pecularities of old partitioning tools.
> Note the absence of the 'sN', i.e. MBR partition, between raw disk =
name
> and bsd slice.  Some time at 9 or 10 lifetime priorities changed due =
> switch to gpart.
>=20
> I do not remember how this was worked around, most likely by zeroing =
second
> block of the disk.  Of course, it is better to do the experiment on a =
copy
> if the original is suspected to contain a useful information.

All of mine are old, and probably in =E2=80=9Cdangerously dedicated=E2=80=9D=
 mode.

Is there any reason that we=E2=80=99re not backwards-compatible or is it =
just something that was not tested?

I guess I could boot a 9.x live CD, but that would be kind of sad and =
make me feel like a Linux user. :)