Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:27:46 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        itojun@iijlab.net, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Subject:   Re: how to get AF_LOCAL from getaddrinfo()

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 06:44:39PM +0100, Ian Dowse wrote:
> In message <14832.995299015@itojun.org>, itojun@iijlab.net writes:
> Another important reason to add this feature is for compatibility
> with other platforms' getaddrinfo() implementations. I just tried
> a random Linux box here, and it seems to have very similar behaviour
> to that implemented by my patch. There is also the general idea
> that the way to encourage people to use a "preferred" interface is
> to make it useful in as many situations as possible :-)

The libbind shipped with bind does so.
The getaddrinfo described by W. Richard Stevens in
Unix Networkprogramming Vol1 describes it for Unix domain sockets
In the later case its also for AF_UNSPEC if the host begins with '/'

But on the other side I never saw getnameinfo with support for it.
Solaris and NetBSD doesn't support it - so your Linux example seems
to be very alone (maybe they are using plain bind implementation).

I primarily asked for it because I found it in contrib/bind and
asumed it to be implemented.
Applications usualy have to deal with it thereself anyway especialy if
they need to be portable and filling a sockaddr_un is by far the
easiest kind of socket tasks to do.
getaddrinfo is realy usefull if you have a FQDN or IPv4/6 ASCII address
which which are difficult to differenciate and which may have multiple
A and AAAA records to try.

So I don't know if it's even usefull to have unix domain sockets in
getaddrinfo.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de