Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:35:45 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
Cc:        'Jonathan Lemon' <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, kent@erix.ericsson.se, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to force small TCP packets?

(re: testing a client to see if it deals with short messages over a socket)

* Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com> [010910 15:32] wrote:
> Out of curiosity, can ipfw+dummynet do something like this?

I've already responded to the poster in private about it because
my initial suggestion was wrong (i hadn't read his email thouroughly
enough).

One way that should work without having to do anything tricky is
using setsockopt with SO_RCVBUF to lower the buffer space, this
should force the remote side to buffer and reduce the amount of
data to be read.  I'm still unsure if this is appropriate because
the kernel may silently (or loudly) complain about a SO_RCVBUF that
appears to be too small.

You may be able to also do this by setting the sysctl
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf to something small.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]