Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:36:33 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passive backplane (was Re: Any Pentium boards with more than 4 PC) slots?

>Speaking of passive backplanes, I have a question.  What are they
>used for?  The hardware engineer I asked a while ago didn't give
>a satisfying answer.  In fact, I've forgotten what it was.  But it
>must be good for something, because I keep seeing passive backplanes
>advertised in embedded systems magazines.

Two things, primarily:

1) Creating a computer where you can just "swap-out" the CPU, and
"swap-in" a better one.  I. e. put the entire motherboard electronics
on a PCI-ish board, and plug it into a back-plane.  Then, when you
want something better, yank the card and plug in a new one.

In reality, this has never been cheaper than buying a new motherboard.
Usually the companies that make something this cool end up charging
twice as much for the technology.

2) Extending your bus so you can have fifteen or twenty cards plugged
in.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net