Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 03:58:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Graffam <mgraffam@mhv.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free BSD for i286

> There's always the (8 bit version of?) minix, which btw will run on an
> original IBM pc, but you'd be much better with some sort of 386. Even if
> you had a 386sx upgrade in there you'd need much more than 1mb ram and
> 40mb hdd space.

I've run Minix (1.7.*) on a 286 with 1M of RAM and a 20M HD quite happily.
By the time 2.0.0 was available, I had already put my 286 to rest.

If you can live with 64k of code plus 64k of data for executables,
a 286 with Minix makes a fine little system, in my opinion.

On the other hand, c'mon guys.. you can pick up a mid-sized 386 for
peanuts. Better to spend the $70.

Michael Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam - Religion, Philosophy, Computers, etc
"..subordination of one sex to the other is wrong in itself, and now
one of the chief hindrances to human improvement.." John Stuart Mill
"The Subjection of Women"