Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 1995 19:25:24 -0400
From:      "Mark G.M. O'Lear" <mgolear@mailbox.syr.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network problems

It looks like you are having a nameserver problem (or NIS).
My guess is your nameserver(s) are on the other end of the SLIP
connection.  When you are connected via SLIP the nameserver
responds to your queries (although slightly slow because of the
SLIP speed).  When you disconnect from the SLIP line, there is
no way to reach your nameserver(s) and the host lookup calls take a
long time to timeout.

Try commenting out the "bind" and "nis" lines from your
/etc/host.conf file and try netstat -r or -i.  You should get
a response with no delay.  If this is much faster, make sure
that you have the local nameserver (not through the SLIP
line) listed first in /etc/resolv.conf file (and uncomment
the "bind" and/or "nis" lines again if you need them).  Also
make sure that all external nameservers actually are up
and running (use host, nslookup or dig) when you have your
SLIP line up.

If you have only a few (less than 20) hosts on your local network
(through the ethernet card), try putting all local hosts in the
/etc/hosts file and make sure the line "hosts" appears
before "bind" and "nis" in your /etc/host.conf (do this
especially if you have no nameserver on your local
network).  That way when you have no SLIP line up, you
can get to all your local hosts lightning fast, and only
use the nameserver (through the SLIP line) when you need
to access something outside of your local network.

If you are using NIS (and the problem is with NIS),
I cannot help you, although I believe NIS is very slow normally
but not 40+ seconds slow.

Mark O'Lear

mgolear@mailbox.syr.edu