Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 05:10:16 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-lists@reiteration.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup-mirror port

Hello list

I have a LAN of 10 freebsd machines and seek to minimise bandwidth usage
by running a local freebsd cvsup mirror, so I installed cvsup-mirror out
of ports. This seemed to progress well, and the install script announced
I was now a freebsd-mirror.

What it does not do is to fill in the auth file in /home/cvsupin/.cvsup
and I find I have to run cvspasswd in order to get this, otherwise I get
error messages like:

spod# less /var/log/cvsup.log

CVSup update begins at 2001-09-23 04:07:06
Updating from cvsup-master.freebsd.org
Connected to cvsup-master.freebsd.org
No record for server "freefall.freebsd.org" in
"/home/cvsupin/.cvsup/auth"
CVSup update ends at 2001-09-23 04:07:06

cvspasswd generates a password line comprising of my email address and a
md5 hash and instructs me to place the string
cvsup-master.freebsd.org:email@your.domain:xxxxxx: (where xxxx is your
plaintext password) into auth and to send the md5 hash string in a
secure email to the upstream mirror admin (in this case cvsup-
master.freebsd.org (aka freefall.freebsd.org)

The question is, am I doing this correctly (I don't need write access to
the upstream repository, so why the personal login) who would I need to
contact, and what is their public key?

any info/help appreciated
--
John - freebsd-lists@i-zone.demon.co.uk - jfm@reiteration.net