Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:20:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        joe@via.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP4000 network printing problems

>  My HP printer becomes non-responsive after 10-15 minutes of inactivity.
>  I'm using the built-in network interface.
>
>  Has anyone else seen this problem? Is anyone sucessfully using the
>  HP4000N with FreeBSD ?

we run HP4000TN printer and have never had any problems.

how non-responsive does it become (Is it pingable? if so, can you telnet
to the printer? do you have the syslog feature enabled? if yes are there
any messages around the time it becomes non-responsive?).

you may also want to do a tcpdump on the same network as the printer to see
if there is any activity to the printer...some machines (such as those
running Solaris printer routines) can obnoxiously grab a network printer.

--mark.