Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:36:09 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, david@catwhisker.org
Subject:   Re: how to move 9.1 ports to HEAD?

Anton Shterenlikht writes:

>  	You already have (achieved this): ports is (still) not brnched as src
>  	is.  We use the head of the ports tree for all branches of FreeBSD.
>
>  I don't think it's true.
>  While still on 9.1 ports, the latest
>  entry in UPDATING was (well I lost it now)
>  about NOV-2012. I believe the revision was
>  also substantially lower.
>
>  AS soon as I switched to head,
>  the latest entry in UPDATING is from
>  6-FEB-2013 and the revision is 311942.
>
>  Or maybe I misunderstood you?

	You do.  :-)
	The local _subversion repository_ (I know I'm using incorrent
terminology) has a revision number: r######.  Which is the same
across different versions of FreeBSD.
	The individual ports _maintained within that repository_ have
their individual ports numbers (e.g. libreoffice-3.6.5) ... which
also does not vary with the FreeBSD release.  One can have
libreoffice-3.6.5 and libreoffice 3.5.4 - but those are two separate
ports and both work (or should) on 8.3, 9.1, and -CURRENT.  If a
port has a minimum (or maximum) release of the OS it supports, there
a mechanism for figuring that out and DTRT.

	Or did I misunderstand you?

	Respectfully,

				Robert Huff