Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:18:18 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /sys hierarchy

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20000702135610.G96427@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
> : On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 01:31:28PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> : > : cd blah is currently
> : > : cd ../../compile/${KERNNAME}
> : > : it becomes
> : > : cd /usr/obj/`pwd`/${KERNNAME}
> : >
> : > My take on this is that it would make it slightly harder to develop
> : > kernel stuff in the tree.  I don't like that prospect, and I think
> :
> : I agree that it is nicer to make the created headers, Makefile, etc. into
> : /sys/compile/ , BUT it would be better to put the .o's in /usr/obj/ to
> : seperate the generated binary from the [generated] source.
>
> Having the ability to do this is great (like I said for the typical
> buildworld case).  Having the ability to turn it off is also desirable
> to aid in normal development.  Even /usr/obj can be turned off for the
> normal case by setting MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to /bogus (assuming you have
> no /bogus).  So too should any new feature like this be.

> config
> shouldn't be modified to put things in /usr/obj/`pwd`${KERNNAME}, but
> instead one should use the -d feature of config in the buildkernel
> target to put this into /usr/obj.

Or "config" could be rewritten to act like NORMAL unix tools and leave its
output in the directory where it is executed. IMHO, the "-d" is the backwards
way to do things. I objected when it was written, but the author insisted
that "compatability" was more important than correct design.

Write a new version under a different name and create a shell "wrapped" for
those who refuse progress.