Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:27:03 -0500
From:      Bob Krzaczek <krz@cis.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

--A6N2fC+uXW/VQSAv

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 08:57:59AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On 02/14/11 19:21, Ted Faber wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:52:43PM -0800, Chris H wrote:
> >>Bottom line (for me anyway) has been that if I disable hald(8), I have
> >>nearly no (video related) issues. This is both on x86&& amd64 systems.
> >
> >When I turn off hald, X xan no longer find the mouse and keyboard.  I can
> >probably hard wire them down, but I get the impression that lots of other
> >gnome-ish things will get confused w/o hald.
>=20
> With HALD and DBUS enabled and an automatic generated xorg.conf file only
> HD4830 works, but it locks up/freezes the box when exiting Xorg/xdm.

I just want to add my experiences here as well, which are quite similar.
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE on i386 (not amd64 at the time), xorg 7.5, at the time =
the
latest NVidia driver for GTX-285M hardware, on a Clevo W870-CU laptop.  The
system worked fine, but when I added hald to the existing configuration, I'=
d get
a very nasty hang of the whole system when the X server exited.

Eventually, it was as simple as 1) with hald, hang  2) without hald, fine

I will investigate the links embedded in other emails I've seen recently, a=
bout
not allowing empty devices and other hacks that I seem to have needed in my
xorg.conf.  If something useful comes of that, I'll post more data.  Otherw=
ise,
I'd just like to add that this behavior is not limited to ThinkPads or ATI
hardware.

Bob

--=20
Bob Krzaczek, Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, RIT
phone +1-585-4757196, email krz@cis.rit.edu, icbm 43.0858N 77.6774W

--A6N2fC+uXW/VQSAv

--A6N2fC+uXW/VQSAv--