Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:14:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      mickey@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
To:        Troy Curtiss <troyc@sandy.merix.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user questions

Hi!
---

In article <freebsd-smp.199707232224.QAA17793@ilsa.stevescafe.com>,
	Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> writes:

> Hi Steve,
>   I see you've been working hot & heavy on the SMP FreeBSD stuff.
> I may be in a position to buy an MP motherboard here at work, which
> would you recommend?  Secondly, how far along is the SMP in the way
> of process sharing/threading/etc...  If I write a program that parallel
> tasks (ie... brute forcing password keyspaces), can I put a CPU on each
> task/thread/process to effectively double my speed (almost)?

I've been running FreeBSD SMP on a dual P5 box (ASUS P65Up5) since about
March 97 without having any serious problems with it. I used it to render
some animation sequences with Povray 3.0. I splitted the work onto two
processes (one rendering all even image numbers and one rendering the
odd image numbers). All I can say is that it runs like a breeze. Both
povrays run parallel at nearly full single processor speed. Same thing
is true for compiling things that support parallel make i.e. SMP kernel.
My current kernel configuration takes about 4:59m with -j 8 enabled on
a dual P133 and hits at about 180-190 % of single processor speed.

Regards, Mickey

--
          (__)
          (@@)    Andreas S. Wetzel       Mail: mickey@deadline.snafu.de