Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 18:08:36 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@magnesium.net>
Subject:   Re: DHCP is down..

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:51:46PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	well, severe troubles on my primary server.. dhcp
> 	won't start.  it looks  like troble with bpf...
> 	at least when i try to start dhcp by hand, it complains
> 	that it can't find a bfp and quit.
>
> 	can anybody help me here?  --i am currently rebuilding
> 	my kernel with more bfp's in my KERNCONF file--

	People,

	Well, sorry if it is bad-form to reply to my eaelier post.
	MAKEDEV'ing bfp16 may have beenn part of it.  I have a
	more important question; does anybody have any insights
	into *why* when I typed

	# sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd.sh status|stop|start

	did I get a truckload of errors from named[`pid`]??!!
	Nothing I did got the daemon working... .

	I am uusing bind-9 which is installed in /usr/local/sbin/.
	The default bind stuff is in /usr/sbin.  Was part of the
	isc-dhcp* stuff called the contrib named?

	I blew away 5+ hours with my network down.... I sure hope
	someone can de-idiotize me.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix