Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 08:47:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Question=answer <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Melting 2 partitions into 1 (fwd)

--0-2096750044-896359630=:255

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Spidey wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >

> > For sanity, I have a WD 3.2Gb hard drive partitionned this way:
> >
> > DOS (C:)        1 Gb
> > FreeSpace:      500 Mb ?
> > FreeBSD:        1.275 Gb
> > FreeSpace:      500 Mb ?
> >
> > This is the output of partition magic...
> >
> > However, fdisk tells me that:
> >
> > Part:   Type:           Size:
> > 1       unused          ?
> > 2       165 (FreeBSD)   1275 Mb
> > 3       6 (DOS=FAT16)   1000 Mb
> > 4       unused          ?
> >
> > Is the order difference important? What is the cause of this
> > difference?
>
> partition magic is reporting the order of the partitions on the disk
> freebsd fdisk is reporting the order in the table,
> they don't have to match.
>

> > Before making the big move, I'll make my DOS partition a little bigger
> > (See another posting to the list). I intend to use the rest of the
> > partition to the grace of FreeBSD. I have ported almost nothing and my
> > /usr boosted up to 1 Gig! Now I want to install some other stuff and I
> > feel like I will always be missing some space... Is it feasable to use a
> > 1.5 Gb partition to the sake of FreeBSD, when you use the ports to install
> > (because it imports the source, contrarly to the package method)?
>
> why not delete the source after you have compiled it?
> (make clean is your friend)

I just do "make clean"? In which dir?

> also cd /usr/ports/distfiles and rm anything you
> have already installed.

Well, all that is there is installed! I always installed via make install,
and never ported manually... These files (source & distfiles) are useless?

> > On Wed, 13 May 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >
> > > you CAN do that but you have to REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
> >
> > > 0/ write down (or better, print) teh output of fdisk and disklabel
> > > for the appropriate device.
> > > 1/ boot the fixit floppy, (I presume it has fdisk, disklabel and dd)
> >
> > You _presume_... How can I know?
>
> boot the install disk
> choose the 'fixit' option
> follow instructions.
> check if said files exist.
> I don't have one around here.
>

> > > 2/ copy the first 8K from the existing BSD partition to the first 8k of
> > > the Win95 partition using dd and teh raw devices
> > > ( dd if=/dev/rwd0s2 of=/dev/rwd0s1 count=16)
> >
> > Actually, it will be a DOS partition I'll be bumming space from...
>

> you didn't say how you wat this to end up
> what is really on the disk is:
>
> 4MB free

Why is that 4Mb alone and free?

> 1000MB DOS
> 500MB free
> 1250MB FBSD
> 500MB free
>
> You say you want to grow the DOS by some amount.
> use partition magic for that first before any other changes..
> We need that completed before we go any further.

This is now:

1 Gb 		DOS
500 Mb 		Extended DOS
1.275 Gb	FreeBSD
500 Mb +-	FreeSpace

> the rest we can do from a running freebsd system (gasp)
> send me the output of freebsd's fdisk after you've done that.

It's in attach...

Spidey

 ____________________________________
| Still searching for a good .sig... |
\------------------------------------/

--0-2096750044-896359630=:255
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--0-2096750044-896359630=:255--