Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:24:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.4 boot limitations?

I'm trying to install 3.4 on the third slice of a system that has
-current installed on the second slice. During the "partition" phrase,
I verify that the system believes the third slice ends before cylinder
1024, change it to a FreeBSD slice, and then go to label. Trying to
create a root file system always fails with a message about the
FreeBSD boot loader not being able to deal with such a root partition,
and I should either make it smaller or move the root partition. Making
the root partition 1 cylinder doesn't help. Since I'm not using the
FreeBSD boot loader, this is particularly galling.

So, given that I'm not running into the 1024 cylinder problem, what
else might be causing my problems? And how do I get around it.

	Thanx,
	<mike