Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:07:25 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree 86 Port on CURRENT

Hi,

OVERVIEW:

I am trying to use XF86Setup to set up my XFree on CURRENT and tcl8.2
seems to not like certain things.

IN DEPTH:

I recently nuked my whole /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 to install a lot of
ports without having premature trash laying around.

Now, I installed both tcl 8.0 and 8.2.  After that I installed XFree86.
I then installed both tk 8.0 and 8.2 and then proceeded to make XFree86
again to make use of XF86Setup.

Now when I try to use XF86Setup it gets me the nice grey screen with the
mouse pointer and then just hangs.  After I explictely kill it with
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE I see this on my console:

invalid command name ".xf86setup.mouse.type.sysmouse"
    while executing
"$w.mouse.type.$mtype invoke"
    (procedure "Mouse_getsettings" line 72)
    invoked from within
"Mouse_getsettings $w"
    (procedure "Mouse_create_widgets" line 151)
    invoked from within
"Mouse_create_widgets   $w"
    (file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup/phase2.tcl" line 205)
    invoked from within
"source /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup/phase2.tcl"

My mouse is not a PS/2 mouse but serial (sio0/cuaa0).

I haven't had this problem with 8.0 and 3.3.3.1.
I tried using XF86Setup with and without moused running.  Same netto effect.
moused runs here as -t auto -p /dev/cuaa0.

Ideas are greatly appreciated since this problem might or might not be present
in the oncoming 4.0-RELEASE and I rather not have it.

Cheers,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...