Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:21:24 -0400
From:      "Peter Brezny" <pbrezny@purplecat.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Backup restore problem with permissions and bzip2

Recently I ran into trouble using the fp_install.sh script when adding a
virtual domain on a freebsd 2.2.8/apache-fp system.

For some reason, instead of chowning the single directory to the new user,
it chowned the entire web directory, so now all of my customer's directories
are owned by the wrong person. :|

I figured the best thing to do would be to restore the entire directory from
backup to get the correct permissions back, so using

bunzip2 < /bkup/wkbkup.home.tar.bz2 | tar xvf - home/www/data/*

I restored all the directories from yesterday's backup.

However, the permissions were not restored.

Looking through the man page, both tar and bzip2 say that they will restore
permissions.

What have I done wrong here and is there a way to restore _just_ the
permissions as opposed to all the content in each directory as well?

To compound matters, I've noticed that the superblock clean flag is not
being set on a reboot.  fsck doesn't seem to be able to fix it.  If anyone
knows of more thorough diagnostic programs or ideas on what might be causing
this I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Brezny
purplecat.net