Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:53:24 +0100
From:      Michael Gusek <michael.gusek@web.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs: allocating allocated segment

Peter Schuller schrieb:
>> I'm running a File server with zfs, 64 Bit, 4 GB Ram and RELENG_7. Two=
 days=20
>> ago i uploaded a file via ftp to the server and the server is crashing=
=2E After=20
>> reboot FreeBSD can't import the zfs-pool. There is a kernel-message:
>>
>> panic: Solaris(panic): zfs: allocating allocated=20
>> segment(offset=3D123456... size=3D74)
>>
>> cpuid =3D 0
>> Uptime: 14m22s
>> panic: bufwrite: buffer is not busy???
>>
>> Now i try to import the zfs-pool with a recent 8.0-current but with th=
e same=20
>> result. It's very important to me to access the pool, so did you have =
some=20
>> idea's ?
>>    =20
>
> The ZFS panic is from space_map.c in space_map_add(), happening via
> zfs_panic_recover(). It in turn is affected by zfs_recover:
>
> /*                                                                     =
                                                                         =
                                                                         =
                      * zfs_recover can be set to nonzero to attempt to r=
ecover from                                                              =
                                                                         =
                                         * otherwise-fatal errors, typica=
lly caused by on-disk corruption.  When                                  =
                                                                         =
                                                            * set, calls =
to zfs_panic_recover() will turn into warning messages.                  =
                                                                         =
                                                                         =
      */

> Setting the vfs.zfs.recover loader variable to 1 might possibly
> help. However I have never tried using that option and I'm not
> familiar with the code, so I have no idea how safe it is. In
> particular since you then seem to be getting a secondary panic (the
> "buffer is not busy" which is from ffs_vfsops.
>
> On another note:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=3Dopera&rls=3Den&q=3Dzfs:+allocatin=
g+allocated+segment&sourceid=3Dopera&ie=3Dutf-8&oe=3Dutf-8

> indicates you're not the only person who has seen similar
> errors. Unfortunately I cannot offer any insight other than to suggest
> digging through the google results.
>
> Was the original crash, prior to the mount problem, purely a software
> crash or was there, for example, a power outtage? I'm wondering
> whether there is any particular reason to believe there was some
> hardware/firmware fault causing corruption.
>
>  =20
Thank you for your response Petter,

on Monday i will give vfs.zfs.recover a try. The original crash was=20
beeing a ftp upload. There was'nt a power outtage or another kernel=20
message, so i don't think it is an hardware issue.

Regards,

Michael