Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:10:26 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail morons

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Kevin Day wrote:

> I'll end up with hundreds of these sometimes.. They timeout in 15-20 mins,
> but my server is thrashing so badly at that point, it's unusable.

If it's a machine performance issue then you could try limiting the number
of children:

# maximum number of children we allow at one time
O MaxDaemonChildren=30

If it's for a major mail server then I would _not_ recommend this, as once
the limit is reached all connections to port 25 will be refused. I had a
play with this the other day when someone decided to forward 150Mb+ of
their email from work to their home account, and it was severely loading
the system.

Otherwise, you could ipfw deny the IP [range], or do it at a higher level
with sendmail as another poster suggested.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                     Sensation Internet Services, Melbourne Aust
fidonet: 3:635/728                                          +61-3-9388-9260