Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 19:52:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: libc 3.0

: The change has been in the tree over a month. People running -current
: will already have the library. There is no easy way to REDUCE the
: version number... It would require everyone to manually delete
: /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0...

That's going to be the hardest part.  It is somewhat non-trivial to
do, but might be important.

The reason it is so hard is that libc is linked into everything, and
it is hard to do a make world that will result in you having
everything that was built by it use libc.so.2.3, while having the make
world still use the 3.0 binaries.  Then there is the problem of all
the binaries that you have built in the interrum.  That can be solved
with a ldd on all the binaries on your system, but the script is
tricky because you need to filter the output of ldd carefully.

To actually do the build, you could do something like
	mkdir /usr/lib/junk
	setenv LD_RUN_PATH /usr/lib/junk:/usr/lib
	cd /usr/src
	make world
But I'm not positive that this wouldn't polute everything :-(.

Ick.  Somewhat non-trivial.

Finally, I get the impression that I'm the only one that seems to
think this is a problem.  If so, I'll go away, but I've seen only two
or three messages in hackers.  I think this is really important.

Comments?

Warner