Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 23:37:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium optimizations

Alex said:

> I've been lurking on the egcs list, and a few Linux/x86ites have been
> tossing around various Pentium or K6 enhanced functions (strlen and memcpy
> come to mind).  I was wondering what the chance of this actually being
> merged into the -current cc?  I was hopin we could get some Pentium
> optimizations without having to use the (as of now) fairly incompatable
> egcs.  Or maybe get some of the dynamic library gunk merged into egcs.

I also have been lurking, and frankly the EGCS compiler is a fantastic
improvement.  There is a LONG LONG way to go before the compiler will
be ready for us (but considering the progress that they have been making,
a "long long way" might mean a month or so :-)).  I think that they
are doing it "right", and moving aggressively.

I have been making my own PPRO optimizations, and been tracking their
work.  I'll likely offer the stuff to them, if I see that my stuff is
good enough.  (I am NOT a compiler person, but have played with GCC
internals since the 1.2X days.)

We should do better to support the effort, and optionally offer the EGCS
compiler as a port.  My guess is that it won't be ready to be the 3.0-RELEASE
default compiler.

dyson@freebsd.org     | it just makes you look stupid, and
jdyson@nc.com         | it irritates the pig.